Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Gingerbread Fun!


I have to admit, as much as I bake, I had not actually ever made gingerbread cookies until yesterday when another mom and I made cookies for our children's first grade class to decorate as part of a lesson about holidays around the world.


While the kids learned about other traditions, I was quickly becoming educated in lessons of gingerbread making. I was warned about rolling the dough, cutting the design and then using a spatula to transfer it from the counter top to the pan, which can cause design distortion! So, I found a way to avoid the problems that come with the transferring process. I simply rolled the dough in-between two pieces of waxed paper, cut my design and then flipped it on to the pan. There were no spatula problems, no design distortion and no disappointed first graders. This process will also work for any rolled dough, cookie cutting type of recipes.

A delicious lesson indeed!