Friday, March 26, 2010

Dinner time..

I came home after a VERY long day, so everyone pitched in and played a role in helping to prep dinner.  Cooking together is my favorite way to create a meal, because it gives me a few quality moments during the craziness of everyone's schedules and as they get older, it surprisingly goes much quicker. 

We had chicken fajitas, which is a quick and easy staple in my home.  I can squeeze in a little of everything in one main dish; protein, dairy, whole grain and vegetables! 

My youngest was in charge of shredding the cheese and I love using this self contained shredder for little hands...it avoids any knuckles meeting the grater.  We used the Monterey cheese with jalapeno peppers mixed throughout to add a little spice of flavor.
My almost 13 year old is now old enought to wash and slice the peppers.  WAHOO!

I broiled the chicken, sautéed the peppers with sweet onions and a little olive oil, warmed the whole grain wraps and set up everything buffet style on the counter.  Everyone loves making their own!  We served salad with the fajitas and were good to go. 

I do believe the more they cook, the more they try and the healthier they eat!