Friday, November 6, 2009

Coo Coo for Coconuts!



If you've read any of my blogs, then you know that we are all about experimenting and trying new and different tastes!  I've chatted about it before & I'm certain to again, but the produce section of your grocery store is a great place for kids to pick out all types of new things to try.

This week my daughter spotted the coconuts and so, yes, one came home for the taste testing.  She carried it all the way through the store and throughout the house in great anticipation of the grand coconut opening.  I hadn't planned on opening it that very night, but in the mind of a child is there really any other plan

So, first things first, we had to go to the phone to call Grandpa for coconut opening instructions, because when I was young, we actually would buy fresh coconuts.  In fact, I can still remember my dad standing at the counter opening them for us and pouring the milk into glasses for us to taste. 
According to Grandpa, we had to make a hole between the three spots on the one end of the coconut.  My dad recommended using an auger tool, but instead we tried a screw driver and taped it with a hammer;  NOT a good idea! It cracked the coconut and we lost most of the juice.  We did salvage some of it for a sip or two, but not much. 

Then we took a hammer (like grandpa suggested) and cracked the rest of the coconutt.  Cracking the coconut on a concrete floor is a must as the process could crack tiles, counter tops, etc.  In the end, my kids discovered it wasn't a fruit they would eat every week, but it was a fun experiment and now we are planning to cook with what's left.