Friday, October 2, 2009

Charts Away!

Yes, it's charts away at my house. I have been finding that with the back to school craze we are not necessarily fitting in the '5 A Day' all of the time. As the kids are helping with making their lunches, it's the easy grab they're reaching for instead of the fruit that needs to be washed or the vegetables that need to be sliced and bagged. So, I've instituted a chart system for my younger two, making it their choice and their responsibility to fit in five fruits and vegetables every day so that I don't have to be the constant alarm system. There are minor rules, like they do have to take at least one fruit or vegetable for snack and lunch as part of their day.


I've also added water to the chart to make sure that they have been drinking enough. Everyone has fallen into a pretty good pattern taking a water bottle to school and making it the first drink when they get home. The charts have just gone into effect and with a little incentive nugget waiting at the end of the week; I'm hopeful that they will be adding more fruits and vegetables throughout the day. I want them to be involved in the process so that the habit becomes theirs and not mine alone; after all parenting is ultimately about launching and letting go....I think!

Another quick breakfast idea to incorporate fruit that I learned from my friend;

1 Banana
2T. Peanut butter
Honey
Cinnamon
Grape nut Cereal

Peel the banana and on one side spread 1 T. of peanut butter. Drizzle just a little bit of honey, sprinkle cinnamon and grape nuts on top. Turn the banana over and repeat the layers on the other side. Slice and serve with a fork. Two of my three kids love this concoction and it makes for an easy way to fit in two servings of fruit for a simple breakfast.