Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Counter Conversations

So, yesterday while we were setting up for one of the shoots for the filming of the November segment a funny little conversation happened that just cracked me up. It went kind of like this;


CHILD: "Did you make all of the recipes we are going to cook?"
ME: "Yes, I did. Do you like to cook?"
CHILD: "Yes, I make up recipes too."
ME: "You do, that's great. What recipe did you create?"
CHILD: "I made up a dip."
ME: "That's awesome. What kind of dip did you make?"
CHILD: "Well, you take gold fish (crackers), crush them up & add water."
ME: "What do you dip into your dip?"
CHILD: Shrugs shoulders

We all enjoyed the conversation and you know what? I LOVE that this little one just wanted to create in the kitchen. It's great how kids will make concoctions out of anything & everything. It's that kind of spirit that played a part in my interest in cooking with kids. When my boys were young, all of my cooking gave them free license in the kitchen; which was sometimes good & sometimes not so good. I would never know what the kitchen would look like when I would come home after a babysitter had been with my kids. It was like their inner cook had come out and they wanted to impress them with their kitchen skills; it was always definitely a sticky state of affairs. So, here's to all of the gold fish dip that has been and will be created by kids here, there and everywhere....it's the imagination that's the beginning of it all.